Delhi, also known as the “heart of India” is a city with rich heritage and culture. The people of Delhi are fond of eating, traveling, and enjoying themselves to their fullest. They find hill stations to be the perfect vacation spot. Delhi to Dharamshala distance is, therefore, one of the preferred long trip destinations as it offers the most captivating mountain views and valleys. The lush green forest is an add-on to the charm of this place.
The best time to visit Dharamshala is between mid-Feb to mid-July as the weather remains pleasant during that time. The city is famous for its Tibetan culture.
Table of Contents
- About Delhi
- About Dharamshala
- Delhi to Dharamshala Distance: Connectivity
- Delhi to Dharamshala Distance: Final Thoughts
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Delhi to Dharamshala Distance
Delhi is one of the country’s most visited cities and a symbol of India’s past and present. Old Delhi and New Delhi are the two parts of the city. Delhi has a lot of monuments that show its historical significance and strength.
The upcoming projects on roadways, residential complexes, and malls are a sign of modernity in the city. The Akshardham Temple, Lotus Temple, Red Fort, Humayan’s Tomb, and India Gate are among the city’s many tourist attractions.
Located in the Kangra District of Himachal Pradesh, Dharamshala is separated as upper division (Mcleodganj) and lower divisions (Dharamshala) with different altitudes. Mcleodganj is 5.3km away from the main town of Dharamshala. You can take the ropeway, also known as Dharamshala Skyway to reach Mcleodganj in just 5 minutes.
Dalai Lama along with his followers came to India in 1959 and settled in Dharamshala. They transformed the town into a place of meditation and peace. The Tibetan culture makes this place so special and attractive.
Delhi to Dharamshala Distance: Places to visit in Dharamshala
1. Dharamshala Cricket stadium: With an elevation of 1,457m, Dharamshala Cricket Stadium, also known as the Himachal Pradesh Cricket Association (HPCA) Stadium is one of the highest sports grounds in the world.
2. St. John in the Wilderness Church: Dedicated to John the Baptist, this neo-gothic church was built in 1852 and is one of the most important churches in Himachal Pradesh.
3. War Memorial: The War Memorial was created in honour of the memory of those who fought to save our motherland during the Indo-China War of 1947-48, 1962, 1965, and 1971, and UN Peace Operations.
4. Dalai Lama Temple: Also known as Tsuglakhang Temple, the Dalai Lama Temple is an ideal place for peaceful meditation and religious rumination.
5. Dal Lake: Dal lake is located between the hills covered with Deodar trees. It is 11 km away from lower Dharamsala. It is the starting point of many treks. 6. Bhagsunag Temple: Surrounded by lush green forests, this temple is situated at a height of 1770 m and attracts a lot of devotees and tourists throughout the year.
Delhi to Dharamshala Distance: Places to visit near Dharamshala
1. Triund: Triund is 6 km away from Dharamshala. It is one of the best camping spots near Dharamshala. It is located at an elevation of 2,828 meters above sea level and is close to the snow-capped peaks. It offers a moderately challenging trek starting from Mcleodganj. It also receives beautiful snowfall during the winter months.
2. Palampur: Palampur is a small hill station famous for tea gardens and pine groves. It is around 35 km away from Dharamshala. The weather remains pleasant throughout the year. It gets extremely cold winter season.
Palampur is one of the most beautiful places to visit near Dharamshala, Himachal Pradesh. It offers a number of places to visit such as the Neug al Khad Temple, tea plantation, and trek to the peak.
3. Bir: Bir is famous for its Paragliding and attracts domestic as well as international tourists. It is located at a distance of 65 km from Dharamshala. It is one of the best places to visit near Dharamshala because of its sports for thrill-seekers. Besides paragliding, you can go fishing, visit the tea garden, and or trek the nearby trails in Bir.
4. Mcleodganj: McLeodganj is basically a suburb of Dharamshala which is 3km away from Dharamshala. With verdant hills and landscapes to witness, it is a peaceful meditation center. It also provides a deep understanding of Tibetan culture. It offers many things to do such as visiting the monasteries, boating at Dal lake, and visiting the churches.
5. Baijnath: Baijnath is a pilgrimage center located in Kangra District of Himachal Pradesh and is almost 55 km away from Dharamshala. It is one of the most beautiful places to visit near Dharamshala. It consists of one of the 12 Jyotirlingas in India and has been serving as a center for spiritual tourism.
The Baijnath Temple is the main attraction in the town and is dedicated to Lord Shiva. Besides the main temple, there are many other spiritual spots that play an important role for the local residents. The town offers splendid views of numerous mountain streams.
Delhi to Dharamshala Distance: Connectivity
Dharamshala is well connected via road to all the major cities of Himachal Pradesh. Bus services from Chandigarh (275 km), Jalandhar (154 km) and Amritsar (187 km) are easily available and is directly available to this city. State buses or other means of transport could be used to reach Dharamshala.
Delhi to Dharamshala Distance by flight
If you want to take a flight from Delhi to Dharamshala you have to take a flight to Gaggal Airport which is 13km away from Dharamshala. After that, you can take a cab or bus.
Delhi to Dharamshala Distance by Bus
The overall distance between Delhi and Dharamshala is 470km by bus and can be easily covered in around 10 hours. You can take a bus by HRTC from Kashmiri Gate ISBT, New Delhi to visit Dharamshala. You can also take private operators from Majnu Ka Tila in New Delhi.
Delhi to Dharamshala Distance by Car
Taking your own car could be the best way to reach Dharamshala which is around 475km from Delhi. When starting your trip from Delhi, you can take the NH1 and follow the path accordingly to reach the destination.
Delhi to Dharamshala Distance by Bike
The approximate Delhi to Dharamshala distance is 470km. NH44 and NH503 will easily take you to your destination as the route is smooth and easy to follow.
How to reach by Air
The nearest airport is Kangra Airport which is 13.2 km away from Dharamshala. Taxi or cab services are easily available from the Airport.
How to reach by Road
Buses are easily available connecting Dharamshala to the nearby cities. Direct private buses are available from Delhi which is 471 km away.
How to reach by Train
The nearest railway station is Kangra Mandir Railway Station at a distance of 32 km from Dharamshala. Pathankot is the major railway junction which is 85 km away from Dharamshala and one can take a direct train from Delhi to Pathankot.
Delhi to Dharamshala Distance: Final Thoughts
Dharamshala is an amazing hill station to experience the beautiful views of the mountain and enjoy the scenic view along with your family and friends. It is a peaceful destination which is a gateway to some adventurous activities as well.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for Delhi to Dharamshala Distance
What is the best time to visit Dharmashala?
Mid-Feb to mid-July could be the best time to visit Dharamshala as the weather remains pleasant during this time with temperatures ranging from 21 to 32 degrees Celsius.
How many days are enough in Dharamshala?
A 4-day trip is enough to cover all the important places in Dharamshala. You can start by visiting Bhagsunag Temple/Waterfall, Dalai Lama Temple, and local markets, etc.
Distance between Delhi and Dharmashala?
The road distance between Delhi and Dharamshala is approximately 470km.
Is it safe to drive from Delhi to Dharamshala at night?
Yes, it is safe to drive during the night as the roads are easy to follow and well maintained.
Which airport is near Dharamshala?
The nearest airport to Dharamshala is the Kangra Airport which is located in Gaggal, Himachal Pradesh.