13 Best Hiking Destinations in India
Hiking is a very beautiful and thrilling experience for all the wanderlust people out there. Hiking brings us close to nature and humbles our spirits. While being in nature, makes us realize how utterly small and powerless we humans are, in front of nature.
While trekking and hiking both involve the same concept of upscaling a mountain, there is a slight difference between the both of them. Hiking involves brisk walking in nature and the environment for a day or overnight, whereas, trekking includes rigorous walks and climbing for more than a couple of days.
Now that we know how hiking is different from trekking, let this article take you down the list of the best hiking destinations in India.
In the snowy adobe of Ladakh, visiting here at least once to trek is definitely the most fulfilling experience. Ladakh provides a gateway to all the adventures the mountain ranges have to offer.
|Available Treks||Markha Valley Trek, Nubra Valley trek, Sham valley trek.|
Highlights of Ladakh
- The major highlights of Ladakh includes the scenic beauty, the snow-clad mountains, romantic valleys, and the unique flora and fauna. Ladakh is also famous for its huge and spiritual Buddhist monasteries.
2. Spiti Valley
Stunned with prolific green fields, making a beautiful contrast with snowy lands and white settlements, Spiti Valley is certainly a hiking destination to add to your list.
|Available Treks||Chandratal Lake Trek, Hampta Pass trek|
Highlights of Spiti Valley
- When visiting Spiti Valley, you should definitely take part in the highlights of this region. Spiti Valley is famous for camping, star gazing, and river rafting. Also, be sure to check out the Nako village walk and the amazing food here.
The famous destination for movie shoots like Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani and Jab we met. So come here and get your own version of a romantic fairy tale. The snow envelops the land, making the scenery a white beauty. This place certainly demands you to come to visit once.
|Available Treks||Prashar Lake, Pin Parvati, Lamadugh, Bhrigu lake.|
Highlights of Manali
- Paragliding in Manali, River rafting in Kullu, and Manali local sightseeing tour. Manali is also known for a lot of skiing activities and also for riverside rafting and camping.
4. Kashmir Valley
Kashmir is just as scenic and beautiful as it is depicted in the movie “Kashmir ki kali”. Kashmir is phenomenal for its beauty and red juicy apples, and vast lakes. The land with the longest railway tunnel. The natural flaouna and flora are unique to Kashmir and are regarded highly. We recommend you to visit this place.
|Available Treks||Kashmir Great Lakes, Naranag Mahlish, Pahalgam,|
Sonmarg Vishansar Naranag
Highlights of Kashmir Valley
- Go Shikhara ride in Dal lake, Houseboat stay, a Gondola ride. Kashmiri cuisine explores all the spices of India with dishes like Paneer Chaman, Dum Aloo, Matschgand, and Gushtaba.
5. Nanda Devi National Park
Enlisted in the UNESCO world heritage list, Nanda Devi national park is also called as “Nanda Devi biosphere reserve”. This site is a perfect blend of green hills and beautiful river valleys. This park is spread over three districts of Uttrakhand, and the rare species of snow leopard reside in this park.
|Available Treks||Nanda Devi National Park, Changband|
Highlights of Nanda Devi National Park
- While are you here, do not forget to try the thrill of Ropeway from Joshimath to Auli. the Chenab lake is also worth your time. Also, visit the Vridha Badri temple and lean into spiritually.
The land of Buddhist monasteries and the culture of Buddhism. The land is bestowed with spirituality and we can see the Buddhist culture all over the place. Visiting Sikkim is your gateway from the usual hustle of life and trying to take a break. There are many adventurous places out here, so for the wanderlust people, Sikkim is heaven.
|Height||300m to 8,586m above sea level|
|Available Treks||Geocha-La, Dzongri, Tholung.|
Highlights of Sikkim
- There are many tourist spots and fun activities that you cannot miss in sikkim. Among those spots is Ravangla Buddha Park, a gondola ride. The festival that locals hold in Gangtok is something of a delight for the tourists. Bakthang Waterfalls aren’t a spot to be missed by tourists.
Darjeeling is called the Queen of the Himalayas. Talking about the royalty of the mountain, the place has a lot more to offer. Tea estates, a romantic gateway, beautiful valleys, and superb British-era architecture is offered in this place. It was designated as a World Heritage Site in 1881. The third highest peak in the world and the highest peak in India lies beside it. Darjeeling is filled with scenic beauty.
|Available Treks||Singalila Ridge, Bamunpukhuri Jungle, Purbikhola|
Highlights of Darjeeling
- When darjeeling name is heard, immediately toy train comes to our mind. For children and for adults, toy train rides is a must-do. Darjeeling also offers a rock climing course at the Himalayan Mountaineering Institute. Tourist can enjoy widlife at Padmaja Naidu Himalayan Zoological Park. watching sunrise from the peak of tiger hills is also something you must do.
The Himalayas and the Uttrakhand have become too mainstream for hiking now. If you want a less-known place, that’s a hidden gem in the hiking field, then Meghalaya is your best bet. The majestic scenery and the alluring waterfalls are just waiting to be discovered. Meghalaya is nicknamed “Scotland of the East”.
|Available Treks||David Scott Trail, Living Roots Bridge Trail, Mawlyngot, Smit|
Highlights of Meghalaya
- Umiam Lake water sports and camping around the lake is something you want to experience at least once. A visit to the Don Bosco Museum and lunch at Trattoria is a place you won’t want to miss.
9. Mount Abu
Being a pleasant hill in the otherwise dessert Rajasthan, mount Abu serves as an escape from the summer heat, for locals and tourists too. Mountain Abu is a green adobe with flourishing green fields and mountains and beautiful waterfalls. Mount Abu also serves as a religious place for the Jains. Arbhuda Mountain is known as Mount Abu.
|Available Treks||Shanti Shikhar, Craigs Path, Adesh Cave|
Highlights of Mount Abu
- Grace your sights with the exciting fauna of Trevor’s Tank – Wildlife Sanctuary. You can go boating in the Nakki lake and pray your respects in the Dilwara temple. Rocking climbing at mount Abu is a thrilling and compelling activity to do while you are here.
Lonavala is among the places that are lesser known and hence more explored by the locals and people living nearby in Mumbai and Pune. This place offers stunning beauty from foggy hills and enormous waterfalls. Kanda Baji and chai are a must-have while trekking here.
|Available Treks||Bhimashankar, Duke’s Nose, Lohagad Fort, Kalsubai|
Highlights of Lonavala
- Bhusi dam while the rainy season is one spot you need to add to your wishlist. This place gets filled with fog and gives the perfect worth of rain and a hilltop experience. A visit to Della adventure park is going to be extremely fun and amazing. Shree Narayani Dhaam temple offers a spiritual escape from this stressful life.
The major takeaway from this place includes the sights of Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary. Kuruvadweep islands and Meenmutty Waterfalls are the places you can’t miss.
|Height||700 to 2,100m|
|Available Treks||Chembra Peak, Banasura, Brahmagiri Peak, Soochipara Falls|
Highlights of Wayanad
- The major takeaway from this place includes the sights of Wayanad Wildlife Sanctuary. Kuruvadweep islands and Meenmutty Waterfalls are the places you can’t miss.
Coorg welcomes nature lovers and adventurers all year round. The scenic beauty doesn’t fade with the seasons but is enhanced every coming season. Coorg is adorned with lush fields of coffee and tea plantation. Coorg has a lot to offer to the wanderers and they are always left spellbound.
|Available Treks||Tadiandamol, Galibeedu-Subramanya, Subramanya-Kumara Parvatha, Kotebetta|
Highlights of Coorg
- Abbey Falls and golden temple are the must-visit locations from this region. You can’t miss out on these two places. Tourists could also go around a food tour , the favourite for foodies and vloggers and bloggers. Bird watching, wildlife safari, and quad biking are a few interesting visits.
Yet another place that is filled with memories from the movies. The famous song “Chaiyya Chaiyaa” which got immensely popular and the timeless movie “Hum Apke Hai Kaun” was shot in Ooty. Come visit Ooty and see for yourself the ultimate famous sites.
|Available Treks||Doddabetta, Kotagiri, Parsons Valley|
Read more: Highest Peaks In India
Highlights of Ooty
- Another place, same fun and exceitment with the toy train. Ooty is yet another place that brings the adults the joys of childhood with toy train ride. Botanical garden and summer festival of ooty are the sites you must grab for yourself.
Here, we went over the whole map of India and brought you the best places for hiking and satisfying the wanderlust adventurer in you. So, don’t wait around waiting for the perfect time and chance, grab your gumboots and carry an extra rope, and get started with the hiking. Because as Marie Davis says, “To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles”.
Frequently Asked Questions for Best Treks To Do In India
What is Hiking?
Hiking is a physical activity that involves walking over the country and also upscaling the mountain peaks.
Trekking v/s Hiking, what is the difference?
Hiking involves walking or upscaling a mountain summit, like trekking. However, trekking takes more than 1 day, while hiking is usually completed within one day or overnight.
What are the benefits of trekking/ hiking?
Trekking improves physical health immensely and revives the body and soul. It improves your stamina, agility, and cardio-logical fitness.
What are the most visited hike routes in India?
Manali, Rushikesh, and Munnar.
Is hiking at night safe?
Hiking, it extends to an overnight journey then, night hiking is probably not a safe option. There is a chance of wild animals or bears, coming out in the dark. We lose our vision and can make errors in judging the distance or the slope. However, trekking at night is a very different experience. So, if you want to try hiking at night, it is suggested to pick an easy trail and be an experienced trekker.
Cheapest hiking routes in India?
Ramkund Lake, Chanderkhani trek
Safest hikes in India?
Triund trek and Rajgad trek.
Best hiking routes for beginners in India?
Hampta pass hike and sunset point hike.