To put an end to those frustrating moments, ill-functioning tent poles, long wet nights, and all those familiar scary moments, we bring to you the best tents for family camping in India.
If you have ever gone out to buy a family tent, then you must be familiar with lots and lots of confusing options available in the market. So, we have done some research on your behalf and put forward a curated list of top 10 best camping tent for family in 2021.
But to understand things better, let’s just have a look at what are the things that matter the most while buying a family tent.
Table of Contents
- Things to keep in mind before buying family camping tent
- Top 10 camping tent for family in India 2021
- 1. Coleman Sundome Camping Tent For 3 person
- 2. Eackrola Pop Up Tent for Camping, 2/4 Person Family Tent
- 3. Quechua camping tent MH100 – 3 person tent
- 4. Coleman Cortes Octagon 8 Person Family Tent
- 5. Amazon Basics camping tent for 4 people
- 6. Hewolf Waterproof Instant Camping Tent for 4 person
- 7. Marmot Tungsten 3-Person Tent
- 8. Coleman Polyester Blackout 3 person Dome Tent
- 9. Nasmodo family waterproof tent house for 5 person
- 10. ULTRAZON Camping Portable Polyester Waterproof Tent for 4 Person
- Final Words
Things to keep in mind before buying family camping tent
Tips for buying a family camping tent
Family Size and kids
When you are buying a family tent, the most important thing to consider here is the FAMILY. It totally depends on your family size, the kind of tent you should go with. There are tents with living rooms, tents with bedrooms, and everything. Another very vital thing to consider is the number of kids you have in your family. Because kids require more space in the living room, they need space to move and play around.
How much space do you prefer?
Decide for yourself how much space you and your family members require. For example, some people prefer a very spacious living area, while others are just okay with a livable space. In general 22 sq, ft area is enough for one adult. But I would recommend you to have a bit more space than you calculate or expect.
Types of family camping tents:
Depending on the kind of treks and camping you and your family prefer you can choose any of these tents. These are some basic tent shapes you will witness in the market. There are also tents modified from these basic shapes, like an extended dome, or geodesic, or bivvy tents.
- Dome-style: As the name suggests, it is a dome-shaped tent. Are you the kind of family that enjoys hiking and trekking with family? Then these are the best options for you. Dome tents and some modifications of dome tents like geodesic tents are best for camping outdoors in bad weather conditions. These are very resistant to strong winds due to their shape and design. But, you would probably have to compromise a bit on the headroom and usable shape (again because of its shape).
- Cabin-style: it is the most spacious option of all. They have room dividers, lots of windows, a very high ceiling, and are easy to go in and come out of the tent, the best tent for kids. These are perfect tents for summer camping.
- Tunnel tent: they have an elongated shape with an arch-shaped ceiling. The shape ensures the same height across the tent except for the sides. Tunnel tents are an excellent choice if you want to have a tent with 4 rooms or 5 rooms.
- A-frame/ ridge tent: it looks like the alphabet A when poled. There are variations of A-shaped tents, but all of them have a long central pole making the A shape of the tent. They are traditionally made of canvas and metal poles. Nowadays, lightweight aluminum poles are used. They were used traditionally but now are not in as much use because of lack of space inside the tent.
It gets really frustrating when the sun is down, the kids are hungry, and you are still trying to figure out how to set up the tent in the middle of nowhere.
So, while buying a family tent, always go with an easy-to-setup tent. Because family treks are usually not as harsh, you can go with a freestanding tent.
Material and weight of the tent
Weight is a very vital factor while trekking. If you have been trekking them you must be familiar with this. And material decides the durability of the tent as well as its weight.
There are plenty of options these days that offer both lightweight yet sturdy materials for better durability.
Ventilation is another very important factor. Because no one wants to wake up in the morning feeling all damp, the clothes, the bedding, everything damp from all the condensation over the night. The material of the tent also decides the degree of ventilation.
Cotton / Canvas Tent
The most popular option since camping started ages ago. Cotton not only is a very cheap option, but it is also very well ventilated. So there is little to no chance of condensation.
But do not forget to ‘weather’ your tent before the actual camping. Cotton or canvas tents require a process called ‘weathering’. Prior to using your canvas tent, put up your tent outside and rain over it artificially or just wait until it rains. It causes the cotton fibers to swell a bit, and hence making it more waterproof.
Cotton or canvas tents are often PVC coated to make them waterproof. In that case, you don’t need to ‘weather’ your tent.
Polyester is becoming a popular option because it is more durable than nylon and is also available in a variety of coatings. You must choose the coating wisely such that it does not hamper the ventilation.
Polyesters are water-resistant naturally, so they don’t tend to get heavy in contact with water or get damp. However, it requires some amount of coating to make it completely water-resistant.
There are also polyester-cotton tents available in the market. The blend of these two fabrics makes the tent super durable.
Another very popular option among hikers is nylon tents. These are extremely lightweight and affordable. Nylon and polyester have very similar properties, but there are some minor differences.
Nylon vs Polyester tent material
- Nylons have a better strength-to-weight ratio compared to polyester. So, for the same weight, nylon is much sturdier than polyester.
- But polyesters are more water-resistant compared to nylon.
- Nylons also tend to be stretchy. So over extended use, it gets wrinkly along the bias. But it also has some advantages, like, the force is not concentrated at a single point.
- Nylon gets degraded in UV exposure. So it will not be very durable in bright summer hikes.
Moving on to our list of top 10 best family camping tents.
Top 10 camping tent for family in India 2021
1. Coleman Sundome Camping Tent For 3 person
2. Eackrola Pop Up Tent for Camping, 2/4 Person Family Tent
3. Quechua camping tent MH100 – 3 person tent
4. Coleman Cortes Octagon 8 Person Family Tent
5. Amazon Basics camping tent for 4 people
6. Hewolf Waterproof Instant Camping Tent for 4 person
7. Marmot Tungsten 3-Person Tent
8. Coleman Polyester Blackout 3 person Dome Tent
9. Nasmodo family waterproof tent house for 5 person
10. ULTRAZON Camping Portable Polyester Waterproof Tent for 4 Person
Choosing the right camping tent for your family is a great responsibility. The best camping tents for family are the ones with large space, good ventilation, strong built and protective. Family camping should be encouraged more, because it not is a fun activity, but also strengthens family bonding, it has a very positive effect towards kids.
Read more: Best Travel Yoga Mat
We have listed the top camping tents for family in 2021 in India. You can choose the best suited tent for you, be it the Coleman cortes octagon 8 person tent with living room and enough of space for kids, or be it the sturdy and most durable camping tent Marmot tungsten 3 person tent or the best in budget Amazon Basics tent for 4 persons.