To put an end to those frustrating moments, ill-functioning tent poles, long wet nights, and all those familiar scary moments, we bring to you the best Camping Tent for Family in India.
If you have ever gone out to buy a family tent, then you must be familiar with lots and lots of confusing options available in the market. So, we have done some research on your behalf and put forward a curated list of top 11 best camping tent for family in 2023.
But to understand things better, let’s just have a look at what are the things that matter the most while buying a family tent.
Things to keep in mind before buying Camping Tent for Family
Tips for Buying a Camping Tent for Family
Family Size and Kids
When you are buying a family tent, the most important thing to consider here is the FAMILY. It totally depends on your family size, the kind of tent you should go with. There are tents with living rooms, tents with bedrooms, and everything. Another very vital thing to consider is the number of kids you have in your family. Because kids require more space in the living room, they need space to move and play around.
How Much Space Do You Prefer?
Decide for yourself how much space you and your family members require. For example, some people prefer a very spacious living area, while others are just okay with a livable space. In general 22 sq, ft area is enough for one adult. But I would recommend you to have a bit more space than you calculate or expect.
Types of Family Camping Tents:
Depending on the kind of treks and camping you and your family prefer you can choose any of these tents. These are some basic tent shapes you will witness in the market. There are also tents modified from these basic shapes, like an extended dome, or geodesic, or bivvy tents.
- Dome-style: As the name suggests, it is a dome-shaped tent. Are you the kind of family that enjoys hiking and trekking with family? Then these are the best options for you. Dome tents and some modifications of dome tents like geodesic tents are best for camping outdoors in bad weather conditions. These are very resistant to strong winds due to their shape and design. But, you would probably have to compromise a bit on the headroom and usable shape (again because of its shape).
- Cabin-style: it is the most spacious option of all. They have room dividers, lots of windows, a very high ceiling, and are easy to go in and come out of the tent, the best tent for kids. These are perfect tents for summer camping.
- Tunnel tent: they have an elongated shape with an arch-shaped ceiling. The shape ensures the same height across the tent except for the sides. Tunnel tents are an excellent choice if you want to have a tent with 4 rooms or 5 rooms.
- A-frame/ ridge tent: it looks like the alphabet A when poled. There are variations of A-shaped tents, but all of them have a long central pole making the A shape of the tent. They are traditionally made of canvas and metal poles. Nowadays, lightweight aluminum poles are used. They were used traditionally but now are not in as much use because of lack of space inside the tent.
It gets really frustrating when the sun is down, the kids are hungry, and you are still trying to figure out how to set up the tent in the middle of nowhere.
So, while buying a family tent, always go with an easy-to-setup tent. Because family treks are usually not as harsh, you can go with a freestanding tent.
Material and Weight of the Tent
Weight is a very vital factor while trekking. If you have been trekking them you must be familiar with this. And material decides the durability of the tent as well as its weight.
There are plenty of options these days that offer both lightweight yet sturdy materials for better durability.
Ventilation is another very important factor. Because no one wants to wake up in the morning feeling all damp, the clothes, the bedding, everything damp from all the condensation over the night. The material of the tent also decides the degree of ventilation.
Cotton / Canvas Tent
The most popular option since camping started ages ago. Cotton not only is a very cheap option, but it is also very well ventilated. So there is little to no chance of condensation.
But do not forget to ‘weather’ your tent before the actual camping. Cotton or canvas tents require a process called ‘weathering’. Prior to using your canvas tent, put up your tent outside and rain over it artificially or just wait until it rains. It causes the cotton fibers to swell a bit, and hence making it more waterproof.
Cotton or canvas tents are often PVC coated to make them waterproof. In that case, you don’t need to ‘weather’ your tent.
Polyester is becoming a popular option because it is more durable than nylon and is also available in a variety of coatings. You must choose the coating wisely such that it does not hamper the ventilation. Polyesters are water-resistant naturally, so they don’t tend to get heavy in contact with water or get damp.
However, it requires some amount of coating to make it completely water-resistant. There are also polyester-cotton tents available in the market. The blend of these two fabrics makes the tent super durable.
Another very popular option among hikers is nylon tents. These are extremely lightweight and affordable. Nylon and polyester have very similar properties, but there are some minor differences.
Nylon vs Polyester Tent Material
Moving on to our list of top 11 Best family Camping Tent.
Top 10 camping tent for family in India 2023
1. Quechua Arpenaz 4.2 4 People 2 Bedrooms camping tent
The Arpenaz 4.2 pole tent is designed for four campers seeking two separate bedrooms and a spacious living area. It is eco-designed to reduce the environmental impact by dyeing the yarn at the source. The tent offers a comfortable camping experience with its capacity, easy assembly, heat reduction, darkness, waterproofness, wind resistance, and easy transport.
Features for Quechua Arpenaz 4.2 4 People 2 Bedrooms camping tent
- Spacious living area and separate bedrooms.
- Easy assembly and dismantling with colored markers on the poles.
- Reduction of condensation with the flysheet above the living area.
- Allows daylight while filtering out UV rays for added darkness.
- Provides waterproof protection with high water column ratings.
- Withstands strong winds for added wind resistance.
- Easy to transport with a compact and convenient rectangular cover.
- Eco-designed to reduce the environmental impact.
- Weighs 11.7 kg, which is quite heavy comparedto other tents.
2. Coleman Polyester Sundome Camping Dome Tent (2, 4, 6 person)
The Coleman Sundome Tent is designed for easy setup and provides excellent air ventilation with its large windows and ground vent. It features an exclusive pin-and-ring design and insta-clip attachments.
Features for Coleman Polyester Sundome Camping Dome Tent (2, 4, 6 person)
- Easy and quick setup.
- Excellent air ventilation for comfort.
- Durable and lightweight materials.
- Spacious rooms and storage mesh pockets.
- Electrical power access inside the tent.
- Waterproof and wind-resistant design.
- UV protection and fire-retardant fabric.
- Moderate water column rating of 600 mm.
3. Eackrola Pop Up Tent for Camping, 2/4 Person Family Tent
Eackrola Pop-up tent is a strong freestanding tent perfect for 4 people. It can withstand extreme weather and strong wind. Perfect for that adventurous family that loves to camp in the wilderness.
Features for Eackrola Pop Up Tent for Camping, 2/4 Person Family Tent
- Resistant against strong wind and bad weather.
- Comfortable for 2 adults and 1 kid.
- 2 doors on the two sides give it a very nice air-circulation across the tent.
- Leak-free sealed seam around the tent.
- The ceiling height is 45 inches.
4. Quechua camping tent MH100 – 3 person tent
Quechua is known for their value for money products. You will not regret spending on Quechua camping tent MH100. It can easily fit 3 people and is freestanding.
Features for Quechua camping tent MH100 – 3 person tent
- Very easy to set up the tent.
- Has a freestanding structure.Withstands wind extremely well.
- Good water-resistance.
- Comes with a 2-year warranty.
- Might need better ventilation.
5. Coleman Cortes Octagon 8 Person Family Tent
The list would have been incomplete without this beast. It is huge! Perfect for family get-togethers and camping under the open sky. It would surely take a while to set it up (for its size) but you know you are protected when you have this tent.
Features for Coleman Cortes Octagon 8 Person Family Tent
- Fits in 8 people comfortably.
- Large headroom even for tall people.Mesh roof and 6 large windows for better ventilation.It comes with a removable partition.
- Comes with a flysheet.
- Color-coded steel poles and freestanding structure.
- Pretty heavy due to its size.
6. Amazon Basics camping tent for 4 people
This tent is the most user-friendly and is a value for money. You can never go wrong with this Amazon Basics camping tent. Don’t worry about the built quality, the manufacturers took good care of it.
Features for Amazon Basics camping tent for 4 people
- Very spacious for 4 people.
- Tub style 1000D polythene floor for leak-free camping.
- The tent is very durable and strong.
- It comes with a removable rainfly, so you can remove it once the rain has stopped and get better ventilation.
- Cannot withstand very strong winds.
7. Coleman 4-Person Dark Room SkyDome Camping Waterproof Dome Tent
The Coleman Quick Pitch Dark Room Tent is designed for quick and easy setup, thanks to its pre-attached poles that allow it to be set up in under 5 minutes. It features Dark Room Technology, blocking 90% of sunlight and reducing heat for a more comfortable rest, even during the day. With 20% more headroom than traditional Coleman dome tents, it provides a spacious and comfortable interior.
Features for Coleman 4-Person Dark Room SkyDome Camping Waterproof Dome Tent
- Quick and easy setup.
- Blocks sunlight for better sleep.
- Increased headroom for a more comfortable experience.
- Excellent weather protection against water and wind.
- Convenient wider door for easy access.
- Additional storage options for organization.
- Spacious interior accommodating 2 queen-size air beds.
- Cannot withstand very strong winds.
8. Marmot Crane Creek 3-Person Ultra Lightweight Backpacking and Camping Tent
The lightweight 3-person backpacking tent is the ideal choice for climbers, campers, and hikers who prioritize comfort and performance while minimizing pack weight. It features quick and easy setup with color-coded components, two doors for easy entry/exit, and extra storage space.
Features for Marmot Crane Creek 3-Person Ultra Lightweight Backpacking and Camping Tent
- Lightweight for backpacking convenience
- Spacious interior with vertical walls
- Quick and easy setup with color-coded components
- Ample storage space for gear and equipmentReliable weather protection
- Durable aluminum poles for stability
- No warranty on Amazon.May not be suitable for extreme weather.
9. Coleman Polyester Darwin 3+ Camping Tent
The Coleman Darwin Tent is a well-designed camping tent ideal for three people. It features a quick-pitch extended dome structure with a ring and pin pole attachment for easy setup. The tent includes a large front porch with a riser groundsheet and PVC windows with curtains, offering a comfortable living space.
Features for Coleman Polyester Darwin 3+ Camping Tent
- Quick and easy setup.
- Spacious living and sleeping areas.
- Waterproof and wind-resistant design.
- Durable and lightweight fiberglass poles.
- Good air circulation with ventilation flaps.
- Convenient inner storage pockets.
- UV guard sun protection for added safety
- The material is not very breathable causing problems during summers.
10. Nasmodo Family Waterproof Tent House for 5 Person
If you are looking for a camping tent to spend some quality family time in, then this is it. The Nasmodo family waterproof tent is very spacious, perfect for families with kids. The tent has a living room, where the kids can play around while the high-density mesh keeps the bugs out.
Features for Nasmodo Family Waterproof Tent House for 5 Person
- Very spacious.
- Consists of 2 rooms, 1 hall, 2 windows, and 1 large entrance.
- Has an outer curtain design.
- The poles are made of fiberglass to reduce the weight.
- Proper ventilation.
- Perfect for outdoor camping or family carnival.
- Not very lightweight.Expensive
11. Strauss Portable Waterproof Camping Tent for 6 persons
The spacious dome shape tent is designed to comfortably accommodate 6 people with ample sleeping space and excellent protection against leaks. The thoughtful design includes a top mesh window for enhanced breathability, an outer curtain that can be rolled up for ventilation, and a durable zipper for easy entry and exit. The tent offers protection from wind, sunlight, rain, and insects with its breathable and water-resistant coated-polyester fabric.
Features for Strauss Portable Waterproof Camping Tent for 6 persons
- Easy to set up.
- Enhanced breathability with the top mesh window.
- Ventilation options with the roll-up outer curtain.
- Easy entry and exit with the durable zipper.
- Protection against wind, sunlight, rain, and insects.
- Breathable and water-resistant fabric.
- Convenient access and excellent ventilation with the zippered D-shaped doors.
- Not suitable for bad or extreme weather.Build quality is not that great.
Final Thoughts for Best Camping Tent for Family
Choosing the right camping tent for your family is a great responsibility. The best camping tents for family are the ones with large space, good ventilation, strong built and protective. Family camping should be encouraged more, because it not is a fun activity, but also strengthens family bonding, it has a very positive effect towards kids.
Read more: Best Travel Yoga Mat
We have listed the top camping tents for family in 2021 in India. You can choose the best suited tent for you, be it the Coleman cortes octagon 8 person tent with living room and enough of space for kids, or be it the sturdy and most durable camping tent Marmot tungsten 3 person tent or the best in budget Amazon Basics tent for 4 persons.
Frequently Asked Questions
What size of camping tent should I choose for a family in India?
The size of the camping tent depends on the number of family members. For a small family of 3-4 people, a 4-6 person tent would be sufficient. For larger families, consider a tent with a higher capacity or multiple smaller tents.
What type of tent is suitable for camping in India?
For camping in India, a dome or cabin-style tent with good ventilation and waterproof features is recommended. Look for a tent with a rainfly to protect against rain, and consider a tent with mosquito netting for added protection against insects.
Can I use a camping tent throughout the year in different seasons in India?
Yes, camping tents can be used throughout the year in India. However, it’s important to choose a tent suitable for the specific season and weather conditions you plan to camp in. Consider factors like ventilation, waterproofing, and insulation based on the season.
How easy is it to set up a camping tent for a family?
Most camping tents for families are designed to be easy to set up. Look for tents with simple and intuitive assembly instructions, color-coded poles, and quick-clip attachments. Practice setting up the tent before your camping trip to familiarize yourself with the process.
Can I find camping tents suitable for camping in the Himalayas in India?
Yes, there are camping tents available that are suitable for camping in the Himalayas in India. Look for tents with sturdy construction, strong poles, and good wind resistance. Additionally, consider a tent with a higher waterproof rating to withstand the unpredictable weather conditions in the mountains.
How durable should a camping tent be for family camping in India?
A camping tent for family camping in India should be durable enough to withstand various conditions. Look for tents made from high-quality materials with reinforced seams, sturdy zippers, and durable poles. Consider the tent’s overall construction and user reviews regarding durability.
Is it necessary to have a waterproof camping tent in India?
Having a waterproof camping tent is highly recommended in India, as weather conditions can be unpredictable, and rain showers are common in many regions. Look for tents with a waterproof rating and a rainfly to keep you dry during rainfall.
Q8: What features should I consider in a camping tent for family camping in India? A: Some important features to consider are:
– Adequate space to comfortably accommodate your family
– Good ventilation to allow airflow and prevent condensation
– Waterproof and windproof capabilities
– Sturdy construction and durable materials
– Easy setup and takedown
– Extra features like storage pockets, gear lofts, and electrical access ports
Can I find budget-friendly camping tents for family camping in India?
Yes, there are budget-friendly options available for camping tents in India. Consider the size, features, and materials of the tent when looking for affordable options. Compare prices and read customer reviews to find a tent that offers a good balance between cost and quality.
Are there any specific camping tent brands recommended for family camping in India?
There are several reputable camping tent brands available in India, including Quechua, Coleman, Wildcraft, and Decathlon. These brands offer a range of options suitable for family camping and are known for their quality and durability. Research and compare different brands to find the one that best fits your needs and budget.